Thursday, December 2, 2010

This Is Pullman

I remember I had to write an English paper in college and the last words in the opening paragraph had to be "this is Pullman".

I wrote something like this; "Nestled in the wheat fields of Eastern Washington lies a remote little college town. This is Pullman."

As I approach a big weekend in Pullman for the Apple Cup, I will never forget those words. It really describes what I wanted when I made the decision to attend Washington State University.
I will never second guess my decision, and I will always cherish the friendships I made in my days at Ole' WAZZU.


It's no secret we want to win the game against our cross state rival, the University of Washington. We want to spoil their chances of going to a bowl game for the first time in years. But it's really not about the game. Football is really a side show in this glorious town. Regardless of what people say, there are plenty of things to do. And win or lose, we still have a great time with our Cougar friends.

I met my wife in Pullman and we always like to stay at the Cougarland Hotel. It sits on the side of a hill downtown, within walking distance to the only breakfast place in that part of town, and of course the watering holes known as the Office and the Sportspage. The Sportspage is where all the coaches hang out, and older alums like ourselves. We will ALWAYS run into Coug friends that we know.

Pullman breeds character, it really does. When you check in to the Cougarland Hotel and they hand you a remote, you know you landed a room with a TV. It's just one more thing to talk about with your friends over a bubbly one.

Sometimes the simple little things mean so much.

You see, it's the small things that make this place so special. Heading across town is no big deal if you've had too much to drink. You just give Big Cat Taxi a call and you can go wherever you want for only $6 bucks. And you can bring all your friends.

This is Pullman.

No comments: